Hidden Holiday Hazards in your Tallahassee Home
With the Holiday Season among us, SERVPRO of Tallahassee wants to ensure our neighbors are safe. For many of our Tallahassee residents this season brings joy and happiness, but it can also bring danger. This blog will focus primarily on the potential dangers of the holiday season, as fires during the holidays have claimed the lives of many Americans, injured even more, and could potentially destroy your Tallahassee home often times leaving those affected displaced. The United States Fire Administration (USFA) reports that on average 400 lives are lost due to holiday fires every year, and a staggering 1,650 people on average are injured due to holiday fires each year. Protect your Tallahassee home and Business by following these simple holiday safety tips, provided by the U.S. Fire Administration.
- USE ONLY NON-FLAMMABLE DECORATIONS: All decorations should be flame retardant. Placement is key to prevention as you do not want to place decorations next to heat vents or other sources of heat.
- MAINTAIN HOLIDAY LIGHTS: At the beginning of the holiday season take your string of lights out and check them for any damage prior to hanging them up around your Tallahassee home, such as frayed wires or cracked sockets and excessive wire kinking.
- DO NOT OVERLOAD ELECTRICAL OUTLETS: Lighting is a festive part of the holidays so making sure they are used properly is important to fire safety. Read the indicated the number of lights allowed to be connected in one outlet. Normally, you should not place more than three strings of lights together unless it is otherwise indicated safe on packaging. A good habit to practice when lights are strung is to periodically touch them as they should not be warm. Any heat may indicate danger.
- AVOID USING LIT CANDLES: Candles are one of the main sources of December fires so avoid using lit candles in your home. If you do chose to use candles, make sure they are in a stable holder, and not located where they can be knocked down by your pet or children. Most importantly NEVER LEAVE YOUR HOME WITH A CANDLE STILL BURNING!!!!
- DON’T BLOCK EXITS: This tip is pretty self -evident. In the event of a fire you want to make sure you have quick and unobstructed access to an exit.
- CHECK SMOKE DETECTORS: As in all seasons, please check to make sure that all fire detectors are working properly and are in working order.
If you eliminate potential risks this holiday season by following the helpful hints listed above you will enjoy a fire-safe holiday this year. If however you do have an emergency this Holiday season call our experts. SERVPRO of Tallahassee is faster to any size disaster and our Experts have the knowledge to get you back in your home as quickly as possible. Please be safe and take care Tallahassee. Happy Holidays from our family to yours.